Schley County was created in 1857 from parts of Marion and Sumter counties. Georgia's 122nd county was named for Georgia Governor William Schley. The name of the county is pronounced "sly."
Built in 1899, the county courthouse is on the National Register of Historic Places. The clock tower, once known as the "Leaning Tower of Ellaville," was straightened and reinforced in 1991.
The City of Ellaville was named for Ella Burton, the daughter of the man who sold the land for the town site.
Schley County Courthouse
|Pre-Disaster Mitigation Plan|
|Schley County 2008-2012|
Area Agency on Aging
Website by Majestic Pages
© 2014 River Valley Regional Commission