logo

RVRC

Contact Us

Harris County

Harris County was created on December 14, 1827, from Troup and Muscogee counties. This was land that was originally distributed by the 1827 Land Lottery and later by the 1832 Land Lottery. The new county was named for Charles Harris, a distinguished Savannah lawyer who died about the time the county was established. He was thought by many to be the best lawyer in Georgia at that time.

The county seat of Harris County is Hamilton, which was incorporated on December 20, 1828. It is located one mile south of Pine Mountain. Hamilton may have been named for Alexander Hamilton, the first Secretary of the Treasury in Washington's cabinet. But another theory has it named for George W. Hamilton, a prominent South Carolinian. Other towns in Harris County are: Pine Mountain, Waverly Hall, Shiloh and Ellerslie. Harris County is also home to beautiful Callaway Gardens.

RVRC

 Harris County Courthouse

Click here for
Georgia Snapshot

   

Harris County Comprehensive Plan (2014 Update)


Harris County Comprehensive Plan


Hamilton Comprehensive Plan


Pine Mountain Comprehensive Plan

Shiloh Comprehensive Plan

Waverly Hall Comprehensive Plan


Visual Preference Survey Results

Solid Waste Management Plan

Harris County 2009

 

 

 

Area Agency on Aging

Workforce Innovation

Active Valley

Visit our regional bicycle and pedestrian website at www.activevalley.org
English Spanish

Website by Majestic Pages
© 2014 River Valley Regional Commission