Crisp County was created in 1905 from territory formerly belonging to Dooly County. It was named for Charles Frederick Crisp, a jurist and Speaker of the U. S. House of Representatives between 1891 and 1893.
Cordele, the county seat, was a "child of the railroad" having built up at a junction of Savannah, Americus, and Montgomery Railroads. It was named for the daughter of the railroad's president.
Crisp County became the first county in the nation to own and operate its own electrical power plant. It was started in 1930 with Lake Blackshear on the Flint River providing its power source.
Crisp County Courthouse
|Greater Crisp County Comprehensive Plan 2014-2019
|Gillespie-Selden Urban Redevelopment Plan|
|Pre-Disaster Mitigation Plan|
|Crisp County 2011-2015|
|Gillespie-Selden Design Guidelines|
Area Agency on Aging
Website by Majestic Pages
© 2014 River Valley Regional Commission